Subject: Archaic chemical terms

Archaic chemical terms

From: Martin O'Brien <martinob>
Date: Saturday, November 25, 2000
Robert Entwistle <bobbyent [at] supanet__com> writes

>... I still could not find modern equivalents
>for:
>
>    Hydrochlorate of Ammonia
>    Oxelate of Ammonia
>    Bichromate of Potash

Bichromate of Potash is now more commonly referred to as Potassium
Dichromate K2 Cr2 O7.

Oxelate of Ammonia is now Ammonium Oxalate (NH4)2 C2O4 H2O

I found these names in The Condensed Chemical Dictionary by Gessner
G. Hawley  (Tenth Edition)

I was unable to find Hydrochlorate of Ammonia, there but I would
suggest finding an older edition of the dictionary.  I feel that the
term hydrochlorate is what is now archaic.  The newest editions of
this dictionary have purged all archaic terminology.  I have seen
older editions of this dictionary at
<URL:http://www.bibliofind.com>.  A chemical supplier should be able
to help with these archaic terms.  One of my suppliers is
particularly helpful, they can be found at:
<URL:http://www.tri-esssciences.com>

Martin O'Brien
Cabinetmaker
336-773-1334
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 29, 2000