Subject: UV-filtering glass

UV-filtering glass

From: Jennifer Bosworth <jennifer_bosworth>
Date: Wednesday, November 22, 2000
Jennifer Baker <jdbaker [at] together__net> writes

>I am looking for a source for laminated glass for a display case
>that is both highly impact-resistant and blocks UV light.  So far I
>have been able to find one or the other, but not both in one
>product. The glass panels need to be about 4 ft. sq.

There are a couple of Technical Notes ('Selecting Exhibit Case
Glazing' and 'Security Glazing for Exhibits') in the National Park
Service's 'Exhibition Conservation Guidelines' CD-ROM that discuss
laminated glass and acrylic glazing with security and UV filtering
features.  If you e-mail me your Fax: number, I'll send you copies.
The TechNotes also list some products and suppliers. You
specifically mentioned glass laminate, so here are a few companies
to contact:

UV absorbing glass products:

1.  Product: Butacite

    from a PVB interlayer; viscoelastic properties provide dampening
    effect on noise; maintains color and clarity. The PVB inner
    layer adheres broken glass eliminating danger from loose shards.

    Supplier:
    E.L.Du Pont de nemours & Co., Inc.
    Architectural Products
    1007 Market Street
    Wilmington, DE 19898
    800-635-3182

2.  Product: Tru Vue Conservation Series

    or reflection control versions. MuseumGlass is an
    optically-coated, reflection-free product which increases the
    transmission of light through the glass.

    Supplier:
    Tru Vue
    1315 North Branch St.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    800-621-8339

Companies supplying Security Glazing - laminated glass panels

    1.  Monsanto

    2.  Dupont

    3.  Viracon Inc.
    800 Park Drive, PO Box 1400
    Owatonna, MS 55060
    507-451-9555

    4.  Northwest Industries Guardian Laminated Glass Corp.
    375 E. Church Ave.
    Telford, PA 18969-1003
    215-726-0400

Additionally, I've been looking into safety films for glass cases
already in use and have been reading about something called
'Protekt' window safety film made by Madico, Inc. in Woburn, MA,
617-935-7850. They have a number of film thicknesses to protect
against different levels of impact. The films also have other
features including UV filtering.
Hope this helps,

Jenifer Bosworth
Getty Fellow in Exhibit Conservation
NPS - Harpers Ferry Center
Division of Conservation
PO Box 50
Harpers Ferry WV 25425

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 29, 2000