Subject: Fluorochromes in solvent gels

Fluorochromes in solvent gels

From: Sophie Haake <sophie.haake>
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2000
For a paper that I write at the University of Applied Art and
Science in Hildesheim, I am testing the effect of solvent gels on
stone. I would like to mix a fluorochrome into my solvent gel to
visualize under ultraviolet light the amount of gel residue left in
the pores of the stone. I tried to add Calcofluor-White M2R (by
Sigma) in the gel, but then no gel formed. Does anyone have
experience with fluorochromes or other staining reagents and
Carbopol gels? Or does anybody has a better idea to visualize the
residues? I already tested gel "treated" samples per Scanning
Electron Microscope and got good results. But that did just show
that there are residues but not how much.

Sophie Haake
Student at Fachhochschule Hildesheim, Germany,
+49-5121-408248,

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 21, 2000