Subject: Wig

Wig

From: Jenny Barnett <andelos>
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2000
Louise Cone <louise.cone [at] smk__dk> writes

>I am presently working on a sculptural installation from 1969. One
>part of the sculpture is a reclining woman, made of painted plaster,
>and wearing a synthetic wig. The wig has never been cleaned, and it
>appears dull and matted. Has anyone had any experience in (dry)
>cleaning of synthetic wigs? It is very delicate, and I am afraid of
>removing it from the figure.

The first step is to invite a textile conservator to examine and
advise on the wig. The fibre type should identified (possibly nylon)
and the degree and possible causes of degradation and soiling
determined before deciding on the possibilities for treatment.

Just a friendly reminder to readers....

Textile conservators are usually also trained to deal with modern
polymers and by implication, modern art with textile elements. We
may also be called upon to contribute expertise on the textile
element of paintings on canvas. For some reason, possibly tradition,
this exchange of expertise does not seem to occur as a matter of
course.

Jenny Barnett
Andelos Textielrestauratie
Oude Looiersstraat 65-67