Subject: Preservation budgets

Preservation budgets

From: Matt Gorbet <mgonline>
Date: Thursday, November 16, 2000
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

I am attempting to research the contemporary art maintenance market.
For my report, I need to determine ballpark figures for money spent
on the preservation or maintenance of contemporary art.  Of
particular interest is the difference in maintenance costs of
electrical/mechanical/electronic artwork to traditional media, if
any, and the percentage of the acquisition cost of a piece that is
subsequently spent on its maintenance.  Any numbers will be helpful
though, even conservation numbers from non-contemporary art museums.

If anyone on this list could give me ballpark figures for this sort
of thing at your institutions (it will be aggregated and presented
anonymously) I would very much appreciate it.

Matt Gorbet

                 Distributed: Monday, November 20, 2000