Subject: Copper photogravure plates

Copper photogravure plates

From: Shaw Kinsley <kinsleys>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2000
The Center for Creative Photography in Tucson has 122 steel-coated
copper photogravure plates used in the manufacture of Edward
Curtis's The North American Indian. Many of the plates are in fine
condition, but some show evidence of corrosion and/or rust. Many
also have an unidentified  cloudy coating or residue unevenly
applied across the surface. We are looking for suggestions regarding
their treatment and housing.

We are especially interested to know of other collections with
plates of this type (or steel engraving plates); what problems these
institutions have encountered with such plates; how many plates they
might have; and how the plates have been stored. We are also
interested in references to information on photogravure technology
and would appreciate any suggestions.

Laura Downey, Conservator
Shaw Kinsley, Project Archivist

                 Distributed: Monday, November 20, 2000