Subject: Lignite

Lignite

From: Alexandra Jeberien <a.jeberien>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2000
We currently received a wet/humid archaeological object made from
Gagat/Lignite. I am planning on running some controlled drying
processes. Does anyone have any literature/ own working experiences
with the material and especially with  treatments on wet lignite
objects?

    **** Moderator's comments: Being unfamiliar with the term
    "Gagat", I wrote to Alexandra and asked for clarification. She
    responded "... as far as I am informed it is not quite the same
    as lignite, but maybe the English language doesn't
    differentiate. In German it is a certain lignite material, but
    might just run under that term in English."

                 Distributed: Monday, November 20, 2000