Subject: Heating

Heating

From: Elisabeth Joy <ejoy>
Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2000
Peter Krantz <bkfndrs [at] ozemail__com__au> writes

>... It is intended that the method of heating be
>electrical elements embedded within the concrete slab, controlled by
>precise thermostat controls.
>
>Can anyone suggest why we might *not* use such heating?

My previous laboratory was located in a room with heating elements
embedded in a concrete floor. When the heating system was turned on
in autumn, our computer screens all had a wavy pattern until the
following spring--not really ideal for  computer work. We were told
by our engineer that the heating elements created a magnetic field
that affected our computer screens.  This heating system must have
been over 10-15 years old.

Several years ago, there was a warning out in the home construction
industry about embedded heating systems shorting out and causing
fires. Sorry, I don't have an exact reference--it could have been
regarding systems from only one specific manufacturer.

Elisabeth Joy
Conservatrice-restauratrice
Musee de la civilisation

                 Distributed: Monday, November 20, 2000