Subject: Solvent gels

Solvent gels

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2000
Dagna de Cornulier <dagne.luciniere [at] unn__ac__uk>

>I am a student at the MA Conservation of Fine Art, section Works on
>Paper, at the University of Northumbria, in England. I have been
>trying to find information on solvent gels in general as well as in
>their application on works on paper.

The use of solvent gels in painting conservation is quite common and
you can find many references to their use in the literature under
Mr. Wolper's name.  The use of solvents in paper conservation has
been limited, usually in the removal of adhesives or tape residues
because the gel can retain the solvent for a long period economizing
on the solvent used and localizing the treatment often in
conjunction with a suction table to minimize the potential for tide
lines.  R.Ann Sheldon and I discuss our use of solvent gels in our
paper in Restaurator, v. 13, 1992:1-22.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service