Subject: Mummy

Mummy

From: Zubair Ahmed Madani <zubairam>
Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2000
I am thankful to all who responded to my query about mummy
preservation.  I have some more questions that, I believe, need
quick response. I have just received the results of the culture
tests carried out on the samples of spots on the mummy.  The results
are as below;

    Site                            Report
    ----                            ------
    Crown                           Aspergillus niger
    Neck area                       Aspergillus niger
    Black spots above the breast    Aspergillus niger
                                    and Aspergillus flavus
    Right side (white spot)         Aspergillus niger and Mucor
    species

We do not have enough information about these infections.  Can you
or someone advise us about how to treat such infections?  Further
more, the bandages are becoming darker brown day by day.  This
phenomenon is seen particularly on the parts where there are bones.
Consequently, the brown coloration showing the structure of the
skeletal structure.  What is this and how to stop the darkening? Can
someone help with this regard?

Zubair Ahmed Madani
National Museum of Pakistan
Karachi-74200, Pakistan