Subject: Mummy

Mummy

From: Ercole Gialdi <rgi>
Date: Saturday, November 11, 2000
Zubair Ahmed Madani <zubairam [at] inet__com__pk> writes

>    4.  Should the mummy and coffin be fumigated?  If yes, what
>        would be the fumigant and application process?  Someone has
>        advised us to use formalin for its fumigation.  Should we
>        use it?
>
>    5.  What environmental factors be considered when in storage and
>        in display? What are the proper/ideal conditions for its
>        proper storage and display?

The fumigation to disinfest the mummy and the coffin from parasites
will alter the composition of the organic and inorganic materials,
no matter which chemical will be used. Moreover most fumigants could
cause heath problems to people who accidentally inhale the
chemicals used for this purpose. Instead of fumigating the mummy and
the coffin, you can expose them to oxygen free atmosphere inside a
proper gas-proof enclosure.

The ideal condition for its proper storage and display is an inert
atmosphere (that will inhibit the biological degradation and
oxidation) that can be obtained inside a hermetically sealed
plexiglass enclosure where the relative humidity RH should be kept
very low. If the enclosure is assembled gas-tight, the RH will be
constant in the time.

Take a look at:
<URL:http://www.cordis.lu/innovation-smes/vips/en/src/en-pp-2-005.htm>

The article on CORDIS was written in July 99, and VELOXY was working
well; now, on November 2000, the SAVE ART project is ended and the
equipment is much better and its applications are numerous. Not only
books, any kind of object can be saved from any specie of insect at
any stage of its life. The inert atmosphere produced by VELOXY is
perfect for long term conservation; moreover the humidity can be
controlled during is creation.

Dr. Ing. Ercole Gialdi
Managing Director
R.G.I. Resource Group Integrator s.r.l.