Subject: Protective covers for book jackets

Protective covers for book jackets

From: Marie Kelzer <mkelzer>
Date: Thursday, November 9, 2000
Sharon Connell <libsac [at] library__novell__leeds__ac__uk> writes

>I've been contacted by a colleague with the following dilemma. Said
>colleague is responsible for purchasing protective covers for books
>in our university library. The covers go by the name of 'lyfguard'
>and are merely intended to provide physical protection.
>
>Due to increased numbers of paperback books for student lending, the
>'lyfguard' budget is spiralling (one third spent since August this
>year).  Clearly, the situation can't be sustained, leaving the
>following choices:
>
>    *   protect only some of the most heavily used student library
>        books (which will eventually impact on repair costs)

Yes-because you can't protect every book even in the most ideal
situation. It is like you say--not economically feasible.  A well
thought out selection process of the most heavily used paperbacks is
the best.

The cheaper means of covering the entire paperback consist of
lamination, taping the edges or leaving it unprotected.   Laminating
covers consist of a much thinner mil of laminate (4 mil) than
Lyfguard (20 mil) which may not hold up well.  A partial covering of
the cover by taping the spine and the foredges with a high quality
tape (Brodart J-lar) may be less expensive but not by much.  Both of
these procedures are very labor intensive.  Do you apply the
Lyfguard/Kapco material yourself or is it a service of the vendor?
It is probably cheaper to have the book vendor apply it then to have
it done by inhouse staff.  However, the logistics of this needs to
be worked out with the book ordering process.

For the heavily used books the more economical choice in the long
run would be rebinding or permabind.  With a laminate, you may end
up protecting the paperback cover but within a few circulations the
hinge may become detached from the cover or the pages if glued may
come out due to poor adhesion or the grain or thickness of the
paper. The cost of staff time along with product cost and durability
all have to be considered.  I believe that library binding is the
most lasting. Hope this helps.

Marie Kelzer
Preservation Unit Manager
San Francisco Public Library