Subject: Protective covers for book jackets

Protective covers for book jackets

From: Sharon Connell <libsac>
Date: Monday, October 30, 2000
I've been contacted by a colleague with the following dilemma. Said
colleague is responsible for purchasing protective covers for books
in our university library. The covers go by the name of 'lyfguard'
and are merely intended to provide physical protection.

Due to increased numbers of paperback books for student lending, the
'lyfguard' budget is spiralling (one third spent since August this
year).  Clearly, the situation can't be sustained, leaving the
following choices:

    *   protect only some of the most heavily used student library
        books (which will eventually impact on repair costs)

    *   find a cheaper, less durable means of protection for less
        heavily used books (e.g. those used by post graduates) and
        target the remaining resources into buying lyfguards for all
        the heavily used undergraduate books

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a 'cheaper alternative' to
'lyfguards' or indeed any other solutions?

Sharon Connell
Conservation Unit
Brotherton Library
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
England
+44 113 233 6375

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 8, 2000