Subject: Web site for preservation awareness materials

Web site for preservation awareness materials

From: Cathleen Mook <cathy>
Date: Friday, October 27, 2000
I have gotten many responses to my recent request for information on
newer Preservation related films to show at the American Library
Association Annual conference next summer in San Francisco.  A great
big thanks to everyone who responded with information on specific
films.  There are at least 4 newer ones which sound great that I
will try to track down for viewing at the Fest.

In addition, I had a number of people contact me requesting a copy
of the videography I was updating/creating.  It seems that many
people in the field are still interested in using films/videos to
promote preservation awareness within their institutions. In hopes
of creating a listing of these films that is relatively up to date,
accessible worldwide and perhaps eventually searchable, I have
decided to (try to!) create some sort of preservation film web site.
I have spoken with library administrators here at UF and they are
willing to host this site on the UF Library web server.  It is my
thinking to include films in categories including, but not limited
to, disaster preparedness, basic education for staff and patrons,
environment/storage/exhibits, binding/book repair, and
other/various/general.  The listing would focus on films relating to
collections, paper and non-paper based, in libraries and archives.
If there is a definite interest, it could be expanded to include
films aimed at museum collections as well.  Information to be
included on the web site for each film might include title,
author/creating agency, length, physical format (VHS, slide, etc.),
appropriate audience, availability (with links to other sites as
necessary), cost and a short synopsis.

My thinking on the exact structure of the web site is still very
tentative. Is a simple listing enough?  Or will it need to be a
database? Should it be searchable?  How about ease of entering new
and updating old information? Who will decide if a film should be
included?  Should films be previewed before being added to the list?
What kind of limits should the listing have?  Paper collections
only?  paper and non-paper?  Library and archives only?  What about
museums?  Historical Societies?  Historic Preservation?

I would really appreciate some input from people with definite
comments on my idea.  Obviously, I do not have a ton of extra time
to work on this project, so in addition to comments, I am also
gratefully accepting any proffered help.

    **** Moderator's comments: Shannon O'Dell <shannono [at] umich__edu>
    suggested:

        This sounds like a perfect project for a library student
        interested in preservation.  A web site is a wonderful idea.
        Any takers?

        Shannon O'Dell, Resource Coordinator
        Preservation Business Services
        University of Michigan Library

Cathleen L. Mook
Head, Preservation Department
Smathers Library
University of Florida
Box 117007
Gainesville, Fl 32611
352-392-6962
Fax: 352-392-6597

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 8, 2000