Subject: Copper plates

Copper plates

From: Rab Jackson <pr258rj>
Date: Monday, November 6, 2000
Recently we had some water ingress in our copper plate store where
some of the copper plates were in contact with water.  I would like
to ask colleagues on this list for information/advice on the storage
of copper plates and what type of damage can occur when copper
plates are exposed to water.  The copper plates have a coating of
wax and currently stored upright in zinc shelving.  My main
questions are:

    1.  What is the optimum storage conditions for copper plates?
    2.  What effect in terms of chemical reaction can be expected if
        copper plates are subjected to water/moisture?
    3.  Why store copper plates in zinc shelving?
    4.  Why have a wax coating?

The answers to the above questions may be obvious to some colleagues
but I would appreciate feedback on this.

Rab Jackson
National Library of Scotland

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 8, 2000