Subject: Biocides for marble

Biocides for marble

From: Sophia Papida <sophia_papida>
Date: Thursday, November 2, 2000
We are at the beginning of a market research for biocides used
against microorganisms colonising building stones of monuments.

Our material is Pentelic marble rich in aluminosilicate mineral
veins. Endo- and chasmolithic microorganisms colonise these veins
which become areas of increased water retention due to the relative
properties of both the aluminosilicate minerals and the microbial
consortia. Their volume is increased, and exfoliations and material
loss is resulted for the marble.

The climate in Athens, Greece is typically Mediterranean and the
atmosphere is rich in inorganic pollutants, responsible for acid
attack and intercrystalline corrosion of the marble.

Any suggestions regarding your use of particular biocidal products
or/and control strategies on marble and your experience with them
will be greatly appreciated.

Sophia Papida
Conservator of archaeological finds
Sokratous 40
GR-15562 Athens
Greece
+30 1 6525325
Fax: +30 1 6525314

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 8, 2000