Subject: Mummy

Mummy

From: Zubair Ahmed Madani <zubairam>
Date: Thursday, November 2, 2000
Department of Archaeology and Museums in Pakistan has recently
discovered a mummy from Kharan area near Iranian frontiers.  As per
initial estimates, it is dated back to 550 to 600 BC.  It has
cuneiform inscription on wooden coffin and on a gold plate on it
breast. It is a very important and remarkable discovery in the
history of Pakistan archaeology.  The Department has constituted a
four members committee to deal with the affairs of the Mummy.  I am
one of the members of this committee.  I have been assigned for
daily examination of the physical condition of the mummy, to collect
information from all possible sources, to seek technical advice, to
explore possibilities for its necessary treatment required for its
proper preservation and display and to carry out the preservation
work.

This is the first time we are  doing this type of work in Pakistan.
That is why our department has to seek technical advice from other
institutions that have experience with this type of work.  May I
request the readers to please help me with this regard?  I need the
following information.

    1.  Dating techniques that may be used for the dating of wooden
        coffin and mummy.

    2.  What kind of tests/analysis should be carried out and for
        what specific purpose?

    3.  Should we use CT Scanning? If yes, for what specific
        purpose(s)?

    4.  Should the mummy and coffin be fumigated?  If yes, what
        would be the fumigant and application process?  Someone has
        advised us to use formalin for its fumigation.  Should we
        use it?

    5.  What environmental factors be considered when in storage and
        in display? What are the proper/ideal conditions for its
        proper storage and display?

    6.  Can you refer some expert on mummy preservation?

    7.  I need know how to prepare a Condition Report.  Can someone
        provide me with a specimen report for this specific purpose?
        List of necessary materials, equipment, and tools

    8.  Any other information, contacts, list of books and
        publications, web sites, list of necessary materials,
        equipment, and tools or something that I have not mentioned
        in this letter will be welcome.

I will be highly thankful for an immediate response.  Any additional
information or further questions will be highly appreciated.  I will
also appreciate if you forward this letter to your colleagues who
could be able to help provide information on the subject.

Zubair Ahmad Madni
Senior Paper Conservator/Head
Paper Conservation Laboratory
National Museum of Pakistan
Karachi-74200, Pakistan

                Distributed: Wednesday, November 8, 2000