Subject: All-weather paper

All-weather paper

From: Judith Bischoff <Judith_Bischoff>
Date: Monday, October 23, 2000
Gretchen Voeks <Gretchen_Voeks [at] nps__gov> writes

>Does anyone know of any research conducted on the composition and
>long-term stability of all-weather writing papers such as "Rite-in-
>the-Rain"?

I would like to respond to the query by Gretchen Voeks regarding the
waterproof/water-shedding papers manufactured by:

    J. L. Darling Corporation
    Tacoma, WA 98424-1017
    253-922-5000
    Fax: 253-922-5300

I received some samples of these papers from Gretchen through our
paper conservator, Nancy Purinton.  I ran FT-IR analysis on all of
the samples sent to us and found the following:

The FT-IR analysis by ATR gave the following information:

Sample #1

    DURARite Waterproof Paper - Level Waterproof Notebook Number 611
    is described by the manufacturer as follows:  "Dura-Rite" is a
    synthetic paper that is ideally suited for use in extreme
    weather conditions.

    The FT-IR analysis reveals that this sample is a composite of
    atactic polypropylene and calcite.  There is an additional
    unidentified component which may be a plasticizer, slip agent or
    other manufacturing additive.

Sample #2

    "Rite in the Rain" is described by the manufacturer as "A unique
    All-Weather writing paper created to shed water and enhance the
    written image."

    FT-IR analysis reveals that this sample is a cellulose-based
    paper with a high calcite content.

    Note that this particular paper is not considered waterproof but
    only sheds water, in contrast to the DURARite.  The DURARite is
    a synthetic polymer (polypropylene) substrate with added calcite
    to make the paper white and opaque.  I suspect that the
    significant amounts of calcite in the DURARite were added in
    order to give the paper an appropriate roughness for a suitable
    writing surface.

It is interesting to note that there are no manufacturers
suggestions for the type of pen/pencil to use on this paper.  I have
done no testing of any writing materials on the paper but looked
only at the composition of the samples we received.

I hope this information will be of interest. Sincerely,

Judy Bischoff, Ph.D.
Conservation Scientist
National Park Service
Department of Conservation