Subject: Avery labels

Avery labels

From: Paula Destefano <destefan>
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2000
Does anyone have any information on the Avery 6464 Removable Laser
Labels that some interlibrary loan offices are now using? My ILL
officer insists that applying them directly to the book's binding on
the front cover is not harmful because they're pH safe and leave no
residue, but she cannot cite any reliable testing to confirm this.
The Avery representative I spoke to said the label's adhesive
composition is proprietary and cannot be shared and their testing of
the product with different substrates did not include book bindings.
Does anyone have any experience with these labels or know of any
testing that's been done?

Paula De Stefano
Barbara Goldsmith Curator for Preservation and
Head, Preservation Department
New York University Libraries
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012