Subject: Natural history specimens

Natural history specimens

From: Jeffory Morris Curator <jmorris>
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2000
I am seeking methodology for the testing and cleaning of a number of
natural history exhibits in our collection.  The specimens include
two polar bears, a walrus, a musk ox, an arctic white wolf and a
white fox, in addition to 27 different varieties of arctic fowl
collected from 1913-1917+ by arctic explorer Donald B. MacMillan.

It is suspected that the mounts contain arsenic, asbestos and
pesticides.

I am looking for reports or articles that speak to the methods and
results of actions taken on similar natural collections.

Jeffory Morris
Curator
Pilgrim Monument & Provincetown Museum
P.O. Box 1125, High Pole Hill