Subject: Photographic proofing paper

Photographic proofing paper

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Friday, October 6, 2000
A. Reynolds <fr0c [at] andrew__cmu__edu> writes

>Portrait studios used to make proofs using photographic proofing
>paper.
>...  They where used because with time the image would
>fade thereby encouraging the person to have standard prints made.
>....  I was wonder if there was any process found that will
>stabilize the image?

What a dinosaur I am: I used printing-out paper as a budding
photographer in the early sixties. I had no need to encourage people
to buy my juvenile efforts, but it took no chemistry to develop, and
the prints themselves were often very beautiful. The magic was quite
seductive. Contact printing using only bright light is the same
process as was used at the very beginnings of photography, and the
solution to the gradual darkening of the image is the same: "fixing"
in a bath to remove the unchanged silver halide crystals. I would
ask a photographic conservator to take care of this for you.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Micro-climate and Oxygen-free storage for Professional Conservators
800-683-4696
Fax: 416-703-5991

                Distributed: Saturday, October 14, 2000