Subject: Photographic proofing paper

Photographic proofing paper

From: Frank A. Reynolds <fr0c>
Date: Monday, October 2, 2000
Portrait studios used to make proofs using photographic proofing
paper. These prints have a brown tone to them.  I believe they are
referred to as developing-out papers and were exposed with high
intensity (arc) lamps, blue fluorescent lamps, or sunlight.   Some
of the Kodak brand names where Portrait Proof, Professional Proof,
and Studio Proof.  They where used because with time the image would
fade thereby encouraging the person to have standard prints made. We
have found some prints made from one of these papers in our portrait
collection.  I was wonder if there was any process found that will
stabilize the image?

Frank A. Reynolds
Hunt Institute
Carnegie Mellon University