Subject: Lining irons

Lining irons

From: Laszlo Cser <laszlo>
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2000
Amy Rider <amy_rider [at] hotmail__com> writes

>Can anyone recommend a good brand of lining iron to purchase?

I don't know what is available from conservation supply houses, but
irons used in the clothing industry may be useful.  They tend to be
substantially heavier than irons sold for domestic use,  and the
temperature controls are industrial strength, intended for long term
cycles of use.  The  steam valves are not required and the access
holes are simply plugged with brass nuts.  The bottom plates are
heavily plated chrome and are removable/replaceable.  They come in
two weights:  5 lb. at about CDN$250.00, and 9lb. at about
CDN$325.00.

In Toronto, they are available from:

    Canadian Steam Iron Co.
    47 Camden St.
    Toronto, Ontario M5V 1V2
    416-504-4766
    Contact:  Larry  Koltun

The model I have used for over 15 years without problems is the
"Seamstress Royal". It is a high quality workhorse. There are
probably U.S. manufacturers of this type of iron that can be
sourced, but it may be a good time to take advantage of the 40%
currency differential.

Laszlo Cser
Restorart

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 5, 2000