Subject: Skin Deep Newsletter

Skin Deep Newsletter

From: David M. Lanning <david>
Date: Friday, September 22, 2000
Volume 10 of Skin Deep, has just been published and is now available
for viewing at <URL:http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm>

The Bookbinding 2000 conference, exhibition and trade fair was a
remarkable and unique event, bring together some of the World's most
well known craft and designer bookbinders.  The event was held in
Rochester, New York and as well as the many professional binders who
attended, there was a sizeable contingent of serious amateur
binders, who had taken time-out from their other 'jobs' to benefit
from the wisdom and experience of their peers.  The J. Hewit & Sons
stall had many visitors, including Richard Grant a man who in recent
years has taken up craft bookbinding.  After our return to London I
saw an open letter from Richard to the Internet's Book Arts List
answering someone's enquiry about 'grain direction' on paper, a
topic which is vitally important in bookbinding. Upon investigation,
we then discovered that Richard had spent more than 30 years as a
paper physicist, and persuaded him to contribute an article for Skin
Deep.  His excellent and informative article is in this issue.

As many of you will now know, Griffin Mill, the hand made paper
manufacturer has relocated to Ireland.  Chris Gibbs the Owner of the
Company, retells the amusing story of the relocation experience of
their home, equipment and of course dog!

After twelve years with the Company, our London Warehouse Manager
Frank Topper retires in February, and since this will be the last
issue  of Skin Deep to be published before he leaves, he has jotted
down a few  words to you all.

This issue of our newsletter, brings you the last in the 10-part
series on the Manufacture of Leather.  We have covered many aspects
of the  business of making leather from the purchase of raw
materials  through to the finishing of the final product.  We cover
in this edition, the Warehouse practices of the Edinburgh tannery
and  explain how we size and grade the skins prior to their
despatch.

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.
+44 20 8965 5377