Subject: Butvar

Butvar

From: Stephanie Schaeuffelhut <steffi>
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2000
I discussed the use of Butvar  in conservation with several
colleagues in Germany and the US.  But we could not agree whether it
is safe to use it. Are there any studies on its ageing properties?

I found some articles about its use e.g. in the consolidation of
bone and it is generally said to be a  very stable material like the
acrylates. But it is also said to contain free acetal and acetate
groups that may react/crosslink with the material of the object or
damage it otherwise.

I intended to use it in the practical part of my thesis (Adhesive
Joining of Archaeological Ceramics) but now I am not sure whether I
really should do that.

Stephanie Schaeuffelhut
University of Applied Sciences, Berlin
Conservation of Archaeological Objects

               Distributed: Thursday, September 21, 2000