Subject: Qualifications for museum positions

Qualifications for museum positions

From: Frank A. Reynolds <fr0c>
Date: Monday, September 18, 2000
I am Hunt Institute's photographer and I am writing a job "position
description" for my position.  I have to fill in a section on
education/training and I am finding it hard to equate 20 or so years
of on-the-job experience with formal training.

If you where hiring someone (like a photographer) that would be
handling rare or valuable works in your collection, that is not a
curator or conservator, what would be the type of formal training
and/or experience you would like them to have?  If you thought they
needed formal training where would you send them, before you
released them unsupervised on your collections?

Frank A. Reynolds
Hunt Institute
Carnegie Mellon University

               Distributed: Thursday, September 21, 2000