Subject: Cost and availability of XRF analysis

Cost and availability of XRF analysis

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2000
Luis Nadeau <nadeaul [at] nbnet__nb__ca> writes

>As a follow-up to our Encyclopedia of Printing, Photographic, and
>Photomechanical Processes, our next book is on the identification of
>engravings and photographs. To this effect, we would like to inquire
>about the cost and availability of non-destructive analysis of
>photographs by X-ray fluorescence spectrometry. More specifically,
>where are the laboratories, around the world, that can perform this
>kind of work and how much do they charge for it?

I had used few times in the past the excellent collaboration of the
following Institute: Non destructive Analysis -XRF Department. The
national comity and research center of atomic energy, Nachal Sorek,
81800 Yavne. As I was more into pigments research  I'm sure they can
work on other topics such as the identification of engravings and
photographs. The cost of the analysis is calculated by the amount of
hours which were put by a scientist ($85) and by the technician
($75). Most of the analysis I made were around the $400-$600 for
each test.

Michael Maggen
Head of Paper Conservation Dept.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem
POB 71117, Jerusalem 91710, Israel.
+972 2 67 08 808
+972 2 6711894 (h)
Fax: +972 2 56 31 833

               Distributed: Thursday, September 21, 2000