Subject: Cost and availability of XRF analysis

Cost and availability of XRF analysis

From: Deborah Lau <deborah.lau>
Date: Thursday, September 21, 2000
Luis Nadeau <nadeaul [at] nbnet__nb__ca> writes

>As a follow-up to our Encyclopedia of Printing, Photographic, and
>Photomechanical Processes, our next book is on the identification of
>engravings and photographs. To this effect, we would like to inquire
>about the cost and availability of non-destructive analysis of
>photographs by X-ray fluorescence spectrometry. More specifically,
>where are the laboratories, around the world, that can perform this
>kind of work and how much do they charge for it?

My postgraduate work as part of the Microanalytical Research Group
(MARC), which is based in the School of Physics at the University of
Melbourne involves using Micro Raman Spectroscopy for the analysis
of pigments in situ on painting surfaces. A 1 micron spot is
analysed through the microscope and identification made by
comparison of spectra with a reference database. Works on which
analyses have been successfully performed include illuminated
manuscripts, oil and watercolour paintings, and portrait
miniatures--both glazed and unglazed. Although I have not yet looked
specifically at dyes and inks I intend doing so later in the
project.  This technique would have application for the analysis of
engravings although I have not heard of it being applied to
photographs. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more
information on the technique or costing for analysis.

Deborah Lau
Conservation Scientist
CSIRO DBCE
Highett VIC 3070
Australia
+61 3-9252-6403

               Distributed: Thursday, September 21, 2000