Subject: Cedar closets

Cedar closets

From: Joice Himawan <j.himawan>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2000
What is the current prevailing philosophy on storing textile
collections in cedar closets?  Are cedar closets good or bad,
effective or ineffective, does it help or does it not matter?  I
don't know much about the properties of cedar wood in terms of
acidity and off-gassing (e.g., oak is acidic and shouldn't be used
for storage).  I would appreciate any information as to the
advantages and/or disadvantages of storing textiles in a cedar
closet?

I'd like to move our textile collection out of the cedar closet and
into better storage, but I need some info to present to the powers
that be. As always, thanks for all your help,

Joice Himawan
Dyer Memorial Library

               Distributed: Thursday, September 14, 2000