Subject: Wallpapers and prints

Wallpapers and prints

From: Marco Di Bella <mdibella>
Date: Monday, September 4, 2000
Today I started my internship at the Laboratorio di Restauro della
Regione Siciliana, in Palermo. The first project we discussed with
conservators there was about wallpapers and many late 18th/early
19th century prints (from books and newspapers) detached from the
walls of an historic house. These materials are affected only by
mechanical damages included the ones made by insects.

The project is to separate each piece overlapping others, restore,
and prepare to be reapplied (maybe by stubs) on the original walls
(after their restoration too). The question is: has anybody
experienced similar procedures; above all the way of reapplying
materials to a wall, considering conservation needs of papers, but
respecting the original aim of the man who made this?

Marco Di Bella, Palermo.

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 12, 2000