Subject: Orotone

Orotone

From: Theresa A. Voellinger <bacc9702>
Date: Monday, September 11, 2000
We have received an Edward S. Curtis orotone for examination.  The
image looks to be in good condition except for one small linear
scratch.  We have not unframed the photograph since it is still in
its original framing package.  Stickers from the Curtis Studio in
Seattle are adhered to the backing paper/dustcover which is torn and
no longer provides good protection.

Should we open the framing package for a more complete examination?
If the package is opened what are the most acceptable methods for
reframing and storage in the future?

In the process of conducting some initial research on orotones we
have found very little substantial information as to the method of
their creation or treatment procedures. Could anyone suggest
readings or where to obtain information for research purposes?

Theresa A. Voellinger
Balboa Art Conservation Center
P.O. Box 3755
San Diego, CA 92163

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 12, 2000