Subject: Crystals on ivory

Crystals on ivory

From: Sigrun Thiel <thiel33>
Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2000
I am currently doing a research project on crystals, which can be
found on miniatures on ivory or on ivory objects and would be
interested if anybody else has come across this phenomena on such
objects.

During my degree work, in which I looked at this subject, I found
out that these crystals generally derive from the ivory, if it is
exposed to conditions of high RH. There are though still some
questions left concerning the exact cause of their origin. This is
why we (myself in cooperation with the State Academy of Arts and
Design Stuttgart, Germany) have continued the project to find out
more about the reasons of this crystals growth. Together with
another European museum or institution with a collection of
miniatures it might be possible as well to apply for European
funding and to start a partnership for this research project.

Please contact me if you are interested or if you have come across
this crystals growth on ivory or even if you know of a collection in
other areas than Northern Europe, which has got these problems in
their collection.

Sigrun Thiel
Paintings Conservator
Bahnhofstr. 34
67149 Meckenheim

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 12, 2000