Subject: Bronze

Bronze

From: Joe Segal <segal>
Date: Friday, September 1, 2000
On a bronze statue which I've been contracted to clean and wax, I've
noticed two areas that have a blue tint. Neither area is very large
(about a square inch or so) but they don't seem to react to blasting
with walnut shell. I'm assuming this is some type of a cupreous
reaction as I have seen similar hues when dealing with copper. Would
an application of liver of sulfur be OK to get these areas back to
brown?  Also, I would like to know if there are any chemical tests
for the presence of chlorides and is sodium sesquicarbonate useable
on small areas of statues when immersing the entire object is not
practical.

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 3, 2000