Subject: Compact storage of magnetic tape

Compact storage of magnetic tape

From: Shane Bell <shane.bell>
Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2000
Recently the State Library under went a compactus refit. I am
currently trying to source some information on the storage of
magnetic tapes in a compactus system that involves the use of
magnets as an alignment mechanism. In addition magnets may be in the
compactus motors as well.

I am trying to find out more information, but it may well be that no
magnetic media can be stored in any of our repositories. This would
include our tapes, we're not sure at this stage whether very
short-term storage would constitute a risk of data disintegration.

Any information on the risks associated with this situation or
experiences of a similar occurrence by other people would be greatly
appreciated.

Shane Bell
Book Conservator
Preservation Services