Subject: Internet and conservation practice

Internet and conservation practice

From: Jean D. Portell <jeandp>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2000
The next AIC Annual Meeting will be held May 29 to June 4, 2001, in
Dallas, Texas. Its program will be selected during the next two
months. I have proposed a talk with this title: Conservation
Cyberspace Communications and the Way We Work.

This report (which will be shared with conservators elsewhere if it
is not accepted for the AIC meeting in Dallas) will touch on the
history of conservation cyberspace communications, and on
identifying potential legal risks related to our use of the
Internet. Its focus, however, will be on the following practical
question. Conservators seem to be increasingly turning to the
Internet; do we need to be wary in new ways when we seek treatment
options online?

Several prominent North American colleagues with experience in
cyberspace communications are providing their insights. Responses
from more people are welcome. I would like to receive comments from
colleagues in many countries regarding observed benefits and risks
to conservation work that result from our communicating via the
Internet (instead of in person or by telephone or in print). For
example, do you think it is easier or harder to find corrections for
misstatements that are broadcast online than to find corrections for
misstatements that are published in print? Also, if you know of
instances where using the Internet has either helped or hampered the
preservation treatment of a cultural object, please share this
information. Sensitive cases will be handled discreetly and can be
reported anonymously in the presentation.

A note about me: I have been practicing sculpture conservation since
1963, at four museums and now in private practice. Since 1994, I
have also been preparing to write a history of art conservation in
the United States of America.

Please respond directly to:

    Jean D. Portell
    Jean D. Portell, Inc.