Subject: Outdoor display

Outdoor display

From: David Harvey <dharvey>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2000
>I have been placed on an advisory group for a proposed piece of
>public art/sculpture.  The artist and community members who designed
>this sculpture would like to have "permanent" items on display in
>window boxes within the sculpture.
>
>So far, I have been the most vocal (putting it lightly) about
>placing anything where sunlight, condensation, vandalism, etc, will
>affect these items over the short or long term.  I have suggested
>ways of making the objects more permanent; bronzing, screening on
>ceramic tile, etc.
>
>What I am asking the list is, has anyone attempted anything close to
>this? What was done to keep items from getting damaged? What
>materials were used?

I appreciate your concern about the potential for damages to the
proposed sculpture. However, if the artist's intent is to put
perishable materials in adverse environments, or within the realm of
public reach, that is his/her right. As conservation professionals
were are committed to the preservation of the artist's / maker's
intent. As far as anticipating the worst and attempting to design
some systems within the sculpture to protect these "other" materials
that can certainly be considered. It entirely depends on what
materials are being used (conservators tend to want specifics!) and
how they are oriented in an outdoor environment (sun, shade,
traffic, birds, people, etc.). You should seek a conservation
professional in your area who can consult with your advisory group
and artist.

David Harvey
Conservator of Objects
The Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver
2420 S. University Blvd.
Denver, Co  80208

                  Distributed: Friday, August 18, 2000