Subject: Folders for photographs

Folders for photographs

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Monday, August 14, 2000
At the Canadian Centre for Architecture we store most of our
photographs in a type of folder we call "mylboard-L".  The backboard
of the folder is a sheet of photo quality museum board (neutral pH,
acid-free, unbuffered,100% rag board which has passed the PAT test).
To this we attach a sheet of 5-ml. mylar, using 3M's 415 tape along
the left side and the bottom (hence the "L").  The top and right
side open and the photograph can be slipped in place easily.  The
mylar front permits easy viewing while the rigid backboard ensures
that researchers and curators handle only the folder, never the
photograph itself.  A narrow margin of museum board is left along
the bottom edge where identifying information can be pencilled in.

We make these folders in a number of sizes which correspond to the
dimensions of the Solander boxes we use for storage.

We have been using this system for many years, usually making
between 500 and 1,000 mylboard-L folders each year.  Demand for
these folders has increased, though, and we foresee needing 1,500 to
3,000 folders a year in the future.  We don't have the time to make
them in such quantity in-house.  I wonder if there is enough demand
for such folders among other museums and archives (Does anyone else
use this system?) to interest a supplier in fabricating them
ready-made for us.  I would be interested in talking to any North
American (and especially Canadian) supplier who thinks they can make
these, to our specifications, at a reasonable price.

Karen Potje Head
Conservation/Preservation Canadian Centre for Architecture
1920, rue Baile
Montreal, Quebec H3H 2S6
Canada
514-939-7000