Subject: ICOM-CC Ethnographic working group

ICOM-CC Ethnographic working group

From: Marian Kaminitz <kaminitzm>
Date: Sunday, August 13, 2000
Updates on ethnographic working group of ICOM-CC:

The ethnographic working group of ICOM-CC is in the process of
converting its newsletter to an e-mail format. If you are currently
on the newsletter mailing list, or would like to be, please send
your e-mail address and regular mailing address to the new
newsletter editor, Margot Wright, m.m.wright [at] abdn__ac__uk . A printed
version will still be available for those without e-mail, however,
we are hoping to minimize the number of hard copies we mail out by
having regional distributors. If you are interested in being a
distributor, please note this in your response.

Additionally, we are compiling a list of ethnographic working group
members. If you are a current voting member of ICOM-CC and are part
of the ethnographic working group, please send your name, addresses
(e-mail and surface mail) and ICOM member number to the co-ordinator
of the working group, Marian Kaminitz, mkaminitz [at] netscape__net . If
you are not a current voting member, but would like to be involved
in the ethnographic working group, please send the same information
as above to Marian Kaminitz and note that you are not a current
voting member.

You are encouraged to become a voting member of the ethnographic
working group of ICOM-CC. To do so, you must first join ICOM as an
individual member and designate Conservation as the international
committee for which you want to vote. Once you have become a member,
you will receive another mailing to designate your areas of
specialty. Individuals in the U.S. may join ICOM through AAM and
receive reciprocity through their AIC membership.

The next triennial meeting of the ICOM-CC is going to be held in
September, 2002 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The key areas for the
ethnographic working group to be looking at for this triennium are:

    I.  Cultural issues

        a.  Toxicity of pesticides and residues on objects being
            repatriated
        b.  Cultural Collaborations

    II.  Materials Science Studies

        a.  Identification of materials
        b.  Deterioration studies
        c.  Modern materials.

A call for papers will go out sometime in January 2001.  We hope to
have an interesting group of submittals.

Marian A. Kaminitz
Head of Conservation
National Museum of the American Indian
Cultural Resources Center