Subject: Lighting a wax model

Lighting a wax model

From: Amanda Pagliarino <amanda.pagliarino>
Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2000
We are working on the display of a 16th century wax model.  The wax
is beeswax blended with tallow and Venice turpentine and pigmented
with iron oxide.  It is intended that the model be displayed using a
fibre optic lighting system.  UV and IR wavelengths have been
filtered from the light source.  In trials the fibre optic system
delivers a rich, intense light that provides visual depth and
dimension.  With the quantity and arrangement of lights used the
level was measured at 800 lux.  This is quite high and I am
concerned that the intensity of light will have an effect on the
chemical structure of the wax.  What lux level or range would be
considered appropriate for lighting aged, blended beeswax
considering there is no heat build-up, and UV and IR filtered out?

Amanda Pagliarino
Conservator, Sculpture
Queensland Art Gallery

                  Distributed: Friday, August 11, 2000