Subject: Public outreach programs

Public outreach programs

From: Jeff Illingworth <baskets>
Date: Monday, August 7, 2000
Vicki Humphrey <humphrey.vicki [at] saugov__sa__gov__au> writes

>Artlab Australia and the State Library of South Australia are
>exploring possibilities the development of a facility that allows
>the public a "behind the scenes" view of conservators at work and of
>broader conservation public programs.

While the techniques we employ here may well be different from what
you are looking for, perhaps they will provide some useful
suggestions.

We are a full time teaching and research institute based at a small
college. We have, for several years, scheduled public open houses to
tour our facilities and archaeological excavations in order to
promote public awareness of our existence, bring in more students,
and to increase our funding base. Additionally, we regularly
schedule private tours for incoming students and the interested
public.

In my experience, having a regular schedule for such events, as
opposed to a constant open door policy, is a more efficient
approach. By doing this, we are always able to arrange for an actual
guided tour with one of our more experienced staff members. It
allows us to undertake projects of either a physically or legally
sensitive nature between visits. Additionally, this approach allows
for a much more thorough experience for our guests as our entire
staff is available and can give the necessary time to talk on a
one-to-one basis without it being a regular distraction.

Should you have any particular questions about our methods (both
failed and successful), please do not hesitate to contact me.

J. S. Illingworth
Analyst and Conservator
Mercyhurst Archaeological Institute
501 East 38th Street