Subject: Woven papyrus sandals

Woven papyrus sandals

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Monday, August 7, 2000
Teresa K. Moreno <t.k.moreno [at] durham__ac__uk> writes

>I am looking for suggestions on how to go about cleaning and
>consolidating woven papyrus sandals....
>The sandals are eventually going to go on display, and because of
>this they will need to be consolidated.  I am planning on running
>tests with various consolidants including cellulose ether, Mowilith
>DMC2 (PVA emulsion), PEG 1000, and PEG 1500.  Are there any
>suggestions regarding these or other consolidants?

Teresa and others might like to note that Mowilith DMC2 was
discontinued over 2 years ago to be replaced by Mowilith DM427 a
polyvinyl acetate alcohol stabilized vinyl acetate/dibutyl maleate
copolymer emulsion.

Another choice might be Mowilith 50 used by archaeological
conservators for a variety of finds materials and as a leather
consolidant. A 100% solids, medium molecular weight polyvinyl
acetate homopolymer Mowilith 50 is supplied as a colourless
transparent pellet soluble in a wide variety of organic solvents.

Both consolidants and full technical information are available from
Conservation Resources in Cowley, England and in Springfield,
Virginia, America.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources
England