Subject: Heat set tissue

Heat set tissue

From: Meg Brown <mmbrown>
Date: Thursday, August 3, 2000
Over the past two years LCCDG (library collections conservation
discussion group/AIC) has been discussing and investigating
home-made recipes for heat set tissues for conservation.  We have
found that some myths exist and contrary to general belief, the LC
recipe is not being made by Bookmakers nor are most institutions
using this recipe because there was a change in the original
adhesive (one report was that the AC73/B500 mixture began to
solidify in the container).

Other rumors were that there were no recipes that had longevity in
stickiness, and many conservators have noted that making in-house
tissues was too time consuming. Recently, we've heard that there are
institutions making the tissue--we would very much like to hear what
recipe they are using (adhesive as well as general instructions for
application), and especially-whether they are using old stock of
adhesive--or is this something they have purchased recently?

In addition, I welcome anyone to comment about what type of
commercial heat set they are using and how they feel about it (how
well does it stick? have you found it to be reversible? etc.)

Meg Brown
Conservator
University of Kansas Libraries
Watson Library