Subject: Woven papyrus sandals

Woven papyrus sandals

From: Teresa K. Moreno <t.k.moreno>
Date: Thursday, August 3, 2000
I am looking for suggestions on how to go about cleaning and
consolidating woven papyrus sandals.  The plant fibre is very dry
and brittle and the overall structure of the sandals is very
fragile.  I don't have access to a micro-vacuum and it has been
suggested to me that I try using an ultrasonic mister with distilled
water to remove surface dust and frass.  However, I am concerned
with how the dried fibre will respond to the moisture.  Does anyone
have any experience with this cleaning method on dry vegetable
fibre?

The sandals are eventually going to go on display, and because of
this they will need to be consolidated.  I am planning on running
tests with various consolidants including cellulose ether, Mowilith
DMC2 (PVA emulsion), PEG 1000, and PEG 1500.  Are there any
suggestions regarding these or other consolidants?

Teresa Moreno
Department of Archaeology
MA in Conservation of Historic Objects
University of Durham