Subject: AIC

AIC

From: Karin von Lerber <karin.vonlerber>
Date: Friday, August 4, 2000
Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> writes

>I was rather amused to find that the current issue of the JAIC which
>is devoted entirely to disaster preparedness has not one reference
>in a foreign language.  I may have missed something, but I went over
>it twice.  Do we really think when we read articles in English that
>no one else in the world is doing anything worth noting?

To be honest: virtually all relevant literature on disaster
mitigation, disaster preparedness and disaster recovery is in
English. There are two reasons for this: on one hand, this topic is
still very much neglected--at least in Europe. On the other hand,
English tends to be *the* language of communication. If we in Europe
have to say something important which is meant to reach over the
boundaries of our native language, we will publish in English. Of
course, there are always  many articles in many different languages.
But my experience is, that many of those which are relevant, will
sooner or later be published in an English spoken journal or in a
conference Pre/Postprint.

An other thing is the different approach to conservation and related
topics taken by the different cultural regions. And I very much
agree: there is much to be learnt from each other!

I find it remarkable to read your statement about Anglocentrism,
written by an English speaking person, and I thank you for it. But
unfortunately, your picked the wrong topic for your remark, and I
feel I have to back the work of the team of JAIC...

Karin von Lerber
Prevart GmbH
Konzepte fur die Kulturgutererhaltung
Oberseenerstr. 93