Subject: Conservation books for children

Conservation books for children

From: Betty L. Seifert <seifert>
Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2000
Carolyn Lamb <carolynpaintingconservator [at] rocketmail__com> writes

>I am looking for children's books suitable for a resource area
>within our forthcoming 'Yours for Keeps: Conserving Bristol's
>Heritage' Exhibition. We have a section for adults but can't find
>anything suitable for younger children.Any ideas?

On conservation, I cannot think of a book, however, I know of two
books on marine archaeological projects for older children.  These
authors address preservation of archaeological resources and the
history they tell us.

    Ford, Barbara and Switzer, David C.  Underwater Dig: The
    Excavation of a Revolutionary War Privateer.  NY, William Morrow
    and Company, c1982.

        This is a Morrow Junior Book.  The authors give a brief
        history, follow the search for the ship Defence, describe
        the archaeological process and documentation. They also talk
        about the preservation and interpretation of a historical
        site and the artifacts.  The book is well illustrated.  This
        is a documented project.

    Macaulay, David.  Ship.  Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1993.

        Describes the archaeological process of investigating and
        excavating a shipwreck and tells the fictitious story of the
        building of the ship.  Well illustrated.

Betty Seifert
Deputy Chief
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory

                  Distributed: Sunday, August 6, 2000