Subject: Web sites for professionals

Web sites for professionals

From: Stephen Todd <stephen.todd>
Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2000
Charles Rhyne <Charles.Rhyne [at] directory__reed__edu> writes

>When reading articles in professional journals, we must often accept
>the conclusions on faith or, more likely, suspend judgment, because
>the evidence on which the conclusions are based is too extensive and
>costly for print publication.

Earlier this year, I believe I am correct in writing,  the British
Medical Journal <URL:http://www.bmj.org/> published an edition where
the journal contained a review of articles submitted and used web
links to the substance and detail. I believe that this journal also
has a relationship with Stanford University at
http//clinmed.netprints.org where non peer reviewed papers can be
examined by fellow researchers.

Examining the web site to which the Professor refers, it would cost
many thousands of dollars to publish a book of that quality and a
similar amount to buy it. Thus the Web is an ideal medium. There are
caveats, of course, such as availability through libraries and
indeed the conservation of the data over a period of time.

However what I should like to thank Professor Rhyne for is a lateral
thought that would, I suspect also be useful in the creation of a
facility for those submitting queries to this list, to refer to a
photograph illustrating a particular problem, and ultimately of the
solution.

Stephen Todd
Institute of Picture Framing

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 2, 2000