Subject: Conservation books for children

Conservation books for children

From: Nancy Pollak <nrpollak>
Date: Monday, July 31, 2000
Carolyn Lamb <carolynpaintingconservator [at] rocketmail__com>

>I am looking for children's books suitable for a resource area
>within our forthcoming 'Yours for Keeps: Conserving Bristol's
>Heritage' Exhibition. We have a section for adults but can't find
>anything suitable for younger children.Any ideas?

I have come across a few books for children which, while not conservation
books, do discuss the materials and construction of paintings and textiles,
and thus offer some information parallel to conservation.  My favorite titles
are:

    Paint and Painting. Scholastic Voyages of Discovery: Visual
    Arts. Copyright 1993, Scholastic printing, 1994.
    (this book does have a page on conservation, which in my view,
    contains some misleading information, but overall, the
    information in the book is good and well presented.)

    Eyewitness Art: Looking At Paintings. Jude Welton. Dorling
    Kindersley, 1994.

    Unravelling Fibers. Patricia Keeler and Francis McCall, Jr.
    Atheneum, 1995.

Nancy Pollak,
Art Care Associates

                 Distributed: Wednesday, August 2, 2000