Subject: Thermal transfer labels

Thermal transfer labels

From: Chip Larkin <chiplarkin>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2000
Has anyone had any experience with thermal transfer printed labels?
We are considering these type of labels for item and shelf location
barcodes. The labels would not be adhered directly to items unless
there is some sort of barrier between the item such as a Mylar
sleeve, case, etc., loose labels would be used instead.

However, before using this type of label we want to make sure that
they are archivally safe and have a high degree of permanence. Also,
has anyone had experience with both paper and polypropylene labels
in terms of wear, smudging, etc.?

Any recommendations on brand of thermal printer or vendors for the
label stock would be welcome as well (haven't seen to many
polypropylene labels in the standard archival supply catalogs).

Chip Larkin
Archivist/Collection Development
AT&T Archives
5 Reinman Road