Subject: Fatty acid methyl esters

Fatty acid methyl esters

From: Arlen Heginbotham <arlen66>
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2000
Genevieve Sansoucy <genevieve_sansoucy [at] pch__gc__ca> writes

>I am a chemist working at Canadian Conservation Institute. I have
>been working in the conservation field only for a few months and I
>think you could help me. I am presently analysing fatty acids methyl
>esters (FAME) from oils (linseed, poppyseed, walnut,...) on GC-MS
>and I am trying to get the correct P/S ratio (methyl palmitate and
>methyl stearate). I have no problem with everything but the
>poppyseed oil. The ratio is supposed to be around 5 and I couldn't
>get higher than 3.

Just a thought, but have you tried an alternate supplier of
poppyseed oil? Adulteration of artist's materials has been a problem
since there have been artist's materials.  Maybe you aren't starting
with exactly what you think.

Arlen Heginbotham
Robert Mussey Associates
Boston, MA