Subject: Casters for carts

Casters for carts

From: George W. Cannon <gwc4>
Date: Monday, July 24, 2000
Bryan Draper <bdraper [at] lva__lib__va__us> writes

>We are clearly frustrated by this situation and can not seem to find
>casters that will both absorb shock and vibration adequately, yet
>turn on a dime.  Unless we can find another caster, we feel
>compelled to put the original casters back on the cart.  We have
>considered trying various types of cushioning material between the
>caster plate and the cart frame. However, the ideal caster seems to
>be one whose outer layer is like the so-called "soft" material of
>the original casters around a pneumatic core to absorb vibration.

I suggest you look into shock absorbing casters from McMaster-Carr.
On page 920 of their catalog they have low profile shock absorbing
casters. The description for these says "Use them for transporting
delicate loads over irregular surfaces".  They have a capacity of
110 lbs. per caster, neoprene  3" wheels, and cost 39.30 each.  They
have several varieties of heavier casters with the same shock
absorbing mechanics, but it seems if the loads you are moving are
not that heavy, then you defeat the purpose by using a heavier
caster.  These people are great to deal with and will gladly send
you a catalog.

    McMaster-Carr Supply Co.
    P.O. Box 440
    New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0440